Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Short Film from Composer-Filmmaker Online.

The great filmmaker Stanley Kubrick once said, "A film is- or should be- more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." Whether you agree or not with his use of classical music in his own masterworks, it's hard not to see his point in the greatest films.

"Unwinnable Hand: A Thriller in Two Movements"
is a short film I've been working on for several years now. Written and directed by Atlanta composer Brian Skutle, it's the story of four friends who are in too deep on a job for the people they work for. A trailer for the film is available at the Cinema Nouveau Productions MySpace site.

This morning the first part of "Unwinnable Hand" ("Movement I- Agitato") was made available for viewing at the website. Apart from wanting to tell an entertaining story, the themes in the script came plucked from my own personal feelings and inspired by some of my favorite filmmakers. Whether I did right by them will be seen when the film is completed after the filming of "Movement II- Con Intensita" as the year goes on. As a composer always intrigued by film, I was curious to see how my experiences as a musician and composer over the years would translate to telling a story through film, and how I could incorporate both loves into an enjoyable storytelling experience. You can see "Movement I" for yourself below. Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated.

"Unwinnable Hand: Movement I- Agitato"


Thank you for your time, and there's more to come in the future.

Thanks for listening,

Brian Skutle
www.sonic-cinema.com
www.myspace.com/brianskutle
www.myspace.com/cinemanouveau

No comments: