Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Q&A with Composer Charles Knox

1) Name five influences.

- Performance in a symphony orchestra
- Performance in jazz ensembles
- Association with good musicians from everywhere in the United States in a service band. (That was in the days of the draft.)
- The music of Hindemith, Bartok and Stravinsky (the most prominent classical composers of my youth)
- Study with Bernhard Heiden at Indiana University

2) What are you currently working on? What can we expect to hear from you?

During my late wife's long illness I wrote very little. But I have just finished two church anthems and am working on a flute ensemble piece. I have in mind a concert piece for (I-won't-say-what) instrument and orchestra.

3) What's good about the Atlanta music scene? Or, why do you live and/or work here?

I grew up in Atlanta and have spent much of my life here. My principal employment was at Georgia State University for 30 years. Life has been good to me here.

4) What is the biggest challenge you face as an Atlanta composer and how do you address it?

I would like to get more performances.

5) Who in the local scene would you like to collaborate with and why?

Occasionally I collaborate with a writer of singable texts. I like to write choral music but am poor at writing texts.

6) What instrument(s) haven't you written for that you would like to write for?

The instrument for my planned concert piece (no. 2 above). Actually I have written for this instrument but not in a concert solo.

7) How does technology play a role in your work?

Computer notation (Mosaic, Finale, Sibelius) has become very necessary. I have never been a competent electro-acoustic composer.

8) When and where is your next performance?

I have been in discussions for a university brass ensemble performance and and a flute ensemble performance.

9) Where can we find you online?

I can receive email at cknox@gsu.edu. I am one the composers at luxnova.com (the publisher). I have been told that I will be a featured composer next month on the web site of the Pytheas Center for Contemporary Music.

Thanks, Charles.

No comments: