Thursday, July 06, 2006

From July's Atlanta Score Study Group Meeting

This evening, I attended the July meeting of the Atlanta Score Study Group (ASSG) at Crawford Communications, hosted by Eddie Horst and Jonathan Cazenave.

Howard Davis was the guest speaker and presented an overview of his orchestral piece, Pilgrims Progress. Howard explained the structural design of his piece, the main motives and how they were conceived and orchestrated. In fact, the main topic was Orchestration with Howard's work as the centerpiece. It was a fantastic overview, well presented by Howard with score excerpts and a DVD presentation that spotlighted each of the sections and motives as we heard the piece.

There were ten composers in attendance, a good turnout! I met many new people and others that I only knew from cyberspace. It was great that we were all together in a room where we could share ideas, information, tips, questions and answers (and bad jokes ;). This is a great group of people, and I learned from all in attendance.

Special thanks to Howard Davis, Eddie Horst, and Jonathan Cazenave for organizing this. Thanks to all that were there.

The ASSG offers unparalleled opportunities for learning, networking, and communication, unique within our community. The ASSG is a rich resource that should not be missed! (And this was only its third meeting! We have a bright future indeed.)

For those reading this that were not there, I highly recommend a visit next time (Aug. 3, 7:30pm), where David Moore (hope I got the spelling right) will do a presentation on music from the perspective of choreographers and dancers.

For those that were in attendance, please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

2 comments:

Chris Rickwood said...

Great meeting of the minds. I look forward to the next one.

Cheers.
Chris

Jonh Neo said...

I like your blogs, I will add your link you to my blog.
This is a resource you can visit :
Google Music Links

And Listen to musics