Tuesday, February 20, 2007

"Turned On" Post-mortem


Well, what did you think?

We did the "Turned On" electronic music concert tonight at The Five Spot (awesome venue!)
Audience attendance was very nice, sound was good, video was a bit blurry, but worked well enough.

Since this is the first time I've done anything like this, I noticed about 15 things I will do differently next time but all in all, I thought the evening was very successful. The composers were all very grateful. (I enjoyed meeting those I hadn't met before.) Some non-musicians loved it, I know others didn't (and will remain anonymous for their protection. :)

But please, let me know what you think. You can post your comments here on the blog, or email me privately at darren [at] curiomusic [dot] com. I value your feedback so I/we can make the next show even better.

Thanks again to all who participated. And thanks, Adam (Scott Neal), for being my partner in crime on this one. :)

We have more ideas for more shows and will post details in the coming weeks on the blog. Hopefully, there'll be a write up in AJC or Creative Loafing on this show.

Now, leave your comments... thanks!

4 comments:

Adam said...

I'll get it started, I guess.

As we discussed last night, it would be good to introduce all the composers up front, with the lights on. Then after each piece, we could pause so they can take their bows. I felt a little silly announcing each piece after awhile.

I think that the Five Spot would probably be ok with starting our next shows earlier. They're open anyway. Amit (the booking guy) really liked it and wants to do more...

We could have used an intermission too, but I know we didn't want to give people an excuse to leave. :)

mitch turner said...

Thanks so much for getting everything together. I really enjoyed the show. I did not meet the person who did the video but please thank them for me.

Mitch

Darren Nelsen said...

Here's our review:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/hp/content/shared-blogs/accessatlanta/reviews/entries/2007/02/20/turned_on_to_mu.html

Imani said...

I had a great time working with Darren to create the video for the composers. The energy in the room was overwhelming and I enjoyed meeting and talking with everyone involved. I look forward to the next one.