Thursday, September 13, 2007

Concert Idea from "Wordless"

From Sequenza21, here's an interesting story about a concert series that features classical and rock music on the same program:

"For a series only slightly over a year old, Wordless Music has made astonishing waves. Givony’s brainchild, which he only anticipated lasting two or three concerts, ends up in the black from ticket sales alone and has been featured in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and The New Yorker. His programs aim to be half-classical, half-rock, though he estimates about 90% of the audience comes for the latter. While such a programming style may not meet the curatorial standards of Lincoln Center, he tries to create sensible musical pairings. When he was able to secure Beirut for a concert on September 20th, for instance, he thought programming some Osvaldo Golijov would complement the band’s Balkan, Levantine sounds. Other times, however, Givony scrapes together a half-hour of classical music and sees whatever decent band he can get. So far, so good."

Since classical and rock are my two favorite kinds of music, this seems natural to me. I'd like to try this in Atlanta. The Atlanta Composers Meetup is currently working on an upcoming electronic music concert this Fall. Perhaps after that, we could curate a classical/rock show for Winter/Spring?

Your thoughts? Worth pursuing?

Anyone have any favorite local rock groups that you could recommend?

3 comments:

Adam Scott Neal said...

I know some of the people in the band Cinetrope and I think they'd be all about it. http://cinetrope.net

MTR said...

I play in the band Spaceseed (they have members of Hawkwind guest on their CD's). I could reach out to them to see if they are interested. I would presume yes.
(Michael Thomas Roe)

Darren Nelsen said...

Wonderful. It'll be a ways down the road before I can organize this (6 months to a year.) But these are good things to keep on my radar.

Thanks for the ideas.