Friday, November 02, 2007

GSU Percussion Ensemble to premiere Gresham's "Vagabond Drumming, Book III"

Dear friends,

The Georgia State University Percussion Ensemble will premiere my Vagabond Drumming, Book III in a concert on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at 7:30pm at the Rialto Center in downtown Atlanta. Admission is free.

And the rest of the program looks very enticing! GSU-PE director Stuart Gerber says the following works are to be performed (although not in this order):

Mark Gresham: Vagabond Drumming, Book III
Toru Takemitsu: Rain Tree
Mary Ellen Childs: Still Life
John Luther Adams: ...and bells remembered...
George Crumb: An Idyll for the Misbegotten
Lou Harrison: Concerto for Flute and Percussion
William Duckworth: Gymel
James Romig: Parallax

Let me especially point out 3 of these composers with whom I've had the pleasure of meeting, corresponding by e-mail, or speaking by telephone:

John Luther Adams, a percussionist who grew up in Roswell, Georgia before moving to wilds outside of Fairbanks, Alaska. (And with whom I once enjoyed eating ice cream in Fairbanks one early December!)

Mary Ellen Childs, a Minnesota composer whose music I first encountered through a live performance of her choral work, Bright Faces (on poetic fragments of Sappho), sung by the Dale Warland Singers.

William (Bill) Duckworth, a North Carolina native, christened by Village Voice critic Kyle Gann as the father of post-minimalism (thanks to his 1978-'79 Time-Curve Preludes for piano solo).

I'm delighted to be represented on the same program with these composers, as well as Takemitsu, Crumb, Harrison, and Romig, and am really looking forward to the concert!

—Mark Gresham

FYI: Here is the calendar for GSU School of Music events.

4 comments:

Josiah Cuneo said...

I noyiced you guys play do a lot of graphic scores. That is great! I started a forum for graphic notation and graphic scores at
http://apps.josiahcuneo.com/Forum/TopicGroup/

Check it out, and keep up the great music.

Adam Scott Neal said...

Kudos, Mark. I wish I could see the show - Crumb, Takemitsu, and JLA (and Gresham of course) are some of my faves!

Darren Nelsen said...

Congrats, Mark! You're in with good company. I look forward to the show and hearing your piece. Thanks for posting this. See you then!

Nicole Randall said...

Sorry I had practice that night. How did it go? Any thoughts on the performance, Mark?